I can’t believe it’s been a month since I’ve initiated these weekly challenges. I’ve been having a lot of fun doing them and I hope you are too. As per my usual opening, if this is your first time here, each week I will challenge us to do one of the self-care options below for each day of the upcoming week. I encourage you to keep a journal of each of these tips so they will become a natural part of your regular self-care habits. I developed a formula to help describe the three main goals of these weekly tips i.e. my formula for self-care which helps define what self-care means.
Building AWARENESS +remaining CONSISTENT +making TIME =an ACT. Building the awareness around self-care habits, making time for self-care and staying consistent is an act of taking care of ourselves.
- SUNDAY-GO FOR A WALK (physical self-care): take some time to be alone with your thoughts and get some fresh air. Fresh air is NEEDED considering all we’ve dealt with in 2020, especially if you’ve been working from home and don’t get to go out as often anymore. If it’s nice out, put on your mask, head out, and connect with nature. If you can’t make it out, open a window and let in some fresh air.
- MONDAY-TRY SOMETHING NEW (emotional or physical self-care): this is the perfect opportunity to step out of your comfort zone. It doesn’t have to be something big, you can start small. If you normally drink coffee try switching to a caffeinated tea today or try making a new recipe for dinner; maybe a dish from another country. Maybe you can try making these.
- TUESDAY-READ A HEALTH RELATED ARTICLE (physical or emotional self-care): it’s important for us to stay up to date. Find an article related to health on a topic you don’t know much about or, a topic you’re very familiar with but want to learn about any new medical advances they’ve made. You may already have your own resources for this information but just in case, check out what they have here or here. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated nor can I vouch for the accuracy of the information on either of the sites provided. I’m simply sharing information.
- WEDNESDAY-TAKE A BREAK (emotional or physical self-care): from ANYTHING! work, social media, talking to someone, cooking, cleaning up, etc. It doesn’t matter. Just give yourself the time you need to take a breather.
- THURSDAY-HAVE SEX (OR MASTERBATE) (physical and emotional self-care): because an orgasm is necessary. PERIOD!!
- FRIDAY-SPEND QUALITY TIME WITH SOMEONE YOU LOVE (emotional self-care): this will benefit both of you. Make plans to do something that you both love and use that time to create memorable conversations and other un-forgettable memories.
- SATURDAY-TREAT A FAMILY MEMBER (OR FRIEND) (emotional self-care): doing things for others without expecting anything in return is a great act of kindness. Personally when I do something for others it makes me feel really good about myself. Treat in this sense is open to your interpretation. It could be monetary, an act of service, or quality time.
I know these are basic self-care habits. It may not seem like much but little habits can turn into life long routines…if you stay consistent. I’m not perfect with my self-care routine, in fact, I’m doing these challenges each day of the week with you in hopes that I will develop a consistent habit. We are all learning and the goal is to continue to take care of ourselves.
Just make sure you do at least one thing on the list. I referenced self-care non-negotiable in this blog last week. It’s essentially one thing that you’ll do for yourself each day no matter what. It’s the essence of what these weekly blogs are about. This is my way of encouraging all of us to adopt a self-care non-negotiable mindset.
Did you get you get through all seven? Let’s Chat!